Tuesday 8 March 2011

Knitting for Reading

I am in two reading groups and they both meet this week. By the middle of last week I had not finished either of the books for this week's meetings, so I needed some knitting to read by.  The Kid Silk Haze scarf needs too much attention to read at the same time, so I looked for a simpler pattern.  I have chosen Martha by Sarah Hatton, from the Rowan Studio Knits book I bought in Sheffield last autumn.    The yarn is Felted Tweed DK, again, this time in a dark indigo with white flecks, that Rowan calls Seasalter. 



I have so far knitted half the back and finished one of the books - March by Geraldine Brooks, which I enjoyed.  It parallels Little Women by Louisa M Alcott, telling the story of Mr March, who is away being a chaplain in the Civil War during most of Little Women.

 

I read an interview with Sarah Hatton in The Knitter  (issue 21) in which she was asked which was her favourite of the designs she had done for Rowan, and Martha was one that she picked. She said "I think most people could wear it, and it has just the right amount of detail to be interesting without being overly complicated. "   Sounds promising, doesn't it?  I'm planning to make the sleeves quite a bit longer, though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...