Thursday 4 April 2013

Blue Peter Sweaters

We were sorting some 1960s and 1970s Patons pattern leaflets at Lee Mills recently and found a pattern for Blue Peter sweaters from 1969 - i.e. children's sweaters with the Blue Peter galleon on the front.  (In case you don't know, Blue Peter is a very long-running BBC children's programme.)

Patons 6150 - Blue Peter Sweaters
 
 A fellow volunteer at Lee Mills borrowed the pattern to show to her grandsons, and they were very keen to have Blue Peter sweaters of their own  - the galleon emblem is still used for the programme, more than 40 years on.  She used the pattern to machine knit sweaters for both of them  - you can see a photo on her blog here.      

 It's not the usual vintage knit that you might find in books like Susan Crawford's  A Stitch in Time, but it's great that 1960s patterns can still appeal to people today.  

2 comments:

  1. My Mam made me one of these and I loved it. I left it in a bus shelter in Coniston whilst Youth Hosteling in the Lake District. I was bereft. Would love to knit another one myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sad! Though I suppose if you hadn't lost it, it might have eventually worn out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...